Motor Mounts

Last October 2009 we hired Total Yacht Works (TYW) to install an engine oil pressure and temperature gauge for the engine. During the installation, Bob (TYW) calls to our attention that the front motor mounts look worn out and we might want to replace them. Since we hadn’t factored in anything like this yet, we had to decide if we wanted to do this now or maybe somewhere “down the road” where parts might not be as readily available not to mention tools to do it with.

We got a price from him and then went online to see what we could do elsewhere. Rather surprisingly, we found that after factoring in transportation charges, customs fees, and other misc. costs, his price was equal to or less than any other that we found. The only question seemed to be should we do just two (2) or all four (4). We opted for four (4) so we would not have to worry about it for a long time.

To do all of them, we needed access to the rear of the engine. Access to the rear of the engine is nearly impossible because of a wood bulkhead. There was a small access door that was there and screwed to the surrounding bulkhead. It is determined the bulkhead is not a structural bulkhead. We decide to cut an enlarged access port so aligning the engine this time and any time in the future can be done easier.

Both Scott and Rick climb into the lazarette and discuss the access door fabrication.

[sthumbs=1112|1111,200,max,y,center,]

The motor mounts arrive and they are installed. Bob and Jesus, TYW install the mounts. To do this, they have to gain access to each motor mount one at a time. They have to loosen it, lift the engine so that weight is not bearing on the mount compressing it and  holding it in place. Then they have to reverse the process to install the new mounts. A time consuming, slow process.

[simage=1110,200,y,center,]

[sthumbs=1113|1114,200,max,y,center,]

Engine Aligned

The final step is to align the engine. Prop There is a thick piece of rubber that bolts in place between the transmission and the prop shaft coupler. This helps to take up some of the torque created by our 3-cylinder engine and keep the entire drive train aligned. Unfortunately it makes it rather difficult to impossible to align the shaft to within .002” as needed. Bob fabricates a stainless steel plate that bolts in, in place of the rubber disk. This allows for a much more precise alignment.

After alignment, the plate is removed and the rubber disk inserted.

[sthumbs=1115|1116,200,max,y,center,]

February 6, 2011

NOTE: Since TYW aligned the engine it is rock solid.

 

To view the photo album for this page, click on the camera.

               This blog is proudly powered by WordPress and Designed by Kawsar